Hill End Hospital
The northern area of the Park is where Hill End Hospital was located. It was opened in 1900 and closed in 1995. It even had its own railway line, which is now the Alban Way. The hospital was self sufficient with its own farms, kitchen gardens and orchards.
During the 2nd World War St Bartholomews Hospital was relocated to Hill End Hospital, to treat the war wounded and Londoners injured during the Blitz. During the battle of Dunkirk the hospital treated over 600 casualties in one week. St Bartholomews hospital eventually relocated back to the London by 1961.
In 1958 the hospital’s farms closed, however the gardens remained and horticulture was added to the therapeutic activities offered. During this time a varied programme of entertainment was offered to patients which included film shows and dances. The wards were starting to be kept unlocked and were renamed using famous people’s names.
Only three of the original Hospital ward blocks now remain and these have been converted into social housing. The former Hospital Chapel has been redeveloped is now used by Trestle Arts Base. More information is provided in this factsheet A Brief History of Hill End Hospital