Cell Barnes Hospital
The south of the Park is where the Cell Barnes Hospital was located, opening in 1933 and closing in 1998. Like Hill End Hospital, Cell Barnes Hospital also had its own farm and gardens, with the farm closing in 1965.
The majority of the hospital buildings were demolished. Those that remain are Cell Barnes House which was used as a Nurses Home and now used by Emmaus, a charity helping homeless people. The Pill Packing Unit on Highfield Lane has been redeveloped and is now the Highfield Lane Nursery. Ladybirds Nursery occupies part of what was a larger building used for staff training and the small building opposite was an occupational therapy unit and now the offices of The LK Partnership. West Lodge is currently the Trust’s Office. More information on the hospital is provided in this factsheet History of the Cell Barnes Hospital Site.